This guarantee is given in addition to any statutory guarantee or QBCC homebuilders liability scheme in force in Australia and is subject to the terms below.
The 30 Year Structural Guarantee provided by Spectrum Homes is specific to the initial purchaser and is not transferable to new owners of the home and subject to the claim is made no later than 30 years after the date of settlement of the contract.
Where we refer in this document to “We”, “Our” or “Us”; this refers to Spectrum Homes QLD Pty Ltd.
Where we refer in this document to “You”, “Your”; this refers to the initial purchaser of the home.
Spectrum Home’s responsibility
We will rectify at our cost the structural failure of any of the following:
- Foundation systems, concrete and or strip footing pursuant to the Building Code of Australia and all relevant Australian Standards including AS 2870, Appendix B
- Structural failure is defined as ‘Damage Category 3’ or higher (AS 2870) for a structural failure to exist
- Structural timbers and steel in wall or roof framing where structural failure is defined pursuant to the Building Code of Australia and all relevant Australian Standards including AS 1684
- Load bearing brickwork where structural failure is defined pursuant to the Building Code of Australia and all relevant Australian Standards including AS 4773.
Detailed information about Australian Standards (AS) can be found by visiting the Standards Web Shop at www.saiglobal.com.au. (infostore.saiglobal.com/store/ and search for the relevant Standards)
You are required to maintain your own home in accordance with the documents provided to you as part of your building contract documentation and in accordance with a guide to preventing structural damage (issued by QBCC). If you do not do so, this will void your 30 Year Structural Guarantee.
This guarantee does not apply in the following circumstances:
- Any loss arising from non-compliance with your responsibilities outlined above
- Failure to follow the site maintenance guidelines provided by us including but not limited to establishing appropriate landscaping and drainage and maintaining the termite prevention treatment program for your home
- Any renovations, additions or other structural changes (including significant landscaping and pools) undertaken to the home post settlement
- Site conditions that are experienced post settlement that are outside of our control
- Damage caused by storms, fire or flooding
- Damage caused by trees growing near the footing of your home
- Fair wear and tear
- Misuse or neglect
- Minor cracking (as defined in AS2870 Appendix B)
For the avoidance of doubt this structural guarantee does not cover items of a non-structural nature such as any marks or scratches to benchtops, walls, etc.
How to make a claim?
To make a claim under this guarantee, you are required to outline your request in writing.
Upon receipt of your claim:
- We will review your request and inspect your property to determine whether there is a structural failure that meets the requirements of this guarantee
- We will respond in writing to you and outline the outcome of the assessment
- Where the structural failure meets the requirements of this guarantee, we will commence rectification works within a reasonable period of time at our cost.
Where it is determined by us that there is no structural failure or that the structural failure does not meet the requirements of this guarantee (e.g. it has been caused by one or more of the items listed in the exclusion section of this document), then all rectification costs will be borne by you.